FANNY MARGARET MAXWELL (1863 -1955)
The eldest daughter of Mary Braddon and John Maxwell, Fanny was named after Braddon's mother and sister.
On the 13 January 1886 Fanny married the well known naturalist Edmund Selous (1857-1934), the son of a wealthy stockbroker and brother of the explorer). One of their wedding guests was Oscar Wilde. They spent their honeymoon at Annesley Bank. Fanny and Edmund had three children: Gerald (born 14 July 1887) and twins Mary and Freda (born 8 April 1892).
In the 1920s Fanny and Edmund lived in Wyke Regis, near Weymouth, in an unusual house called Wyke Castle. Photographs of Wyke Castle by Mark Cleaver can be seen here. Fanny founded the local branch of the Women's Institute in 1923, and became its first president; this can be read about here on the website of Wyke Regis. Fanny was also involved with the Girl Guides.
The last surviving child of Mary Elizabeth Braddon and John Maxwell, Fanny died at the age of 92 in 1955. At this time she was living at Church Woods, Wonersh, near Guildford, and left an estate valued at £41,971.
Fanny and Edmund's son, Gerald Holgate Selous (1887-1978), had a successful career with the Foreign Office; he was Vice Consul at Casablanca 1924-32, Consul at Basra 1929-32, and held other positions in Egypt, Brussels and Canada (Trade Commissioner, Vancouver). He also wrote a book about his time in Morocco - G. H. Selous, Appointment to Fez (London: Richards Press, 1956). Gerald Selous married Camilla Lippincott (the daughter of Jay. B. Lippincott of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania) and they had one son.
Copyright © 2004 - 2007, The Sensation Press, All
The Sensation Press